Emergency Department Tech II
Company: Advocate Health
Location: Downers Grove
Posted on: November 15, 2023
- Perform patient care as directed by nursing or medical staff.
- 1)EMT-Ps licensed by IDPH may complete the housewide competency
to start IVs, saline locks, and administer IV fluids.
- 2)Assist both nursing and physicians to perform various
invasive procedures such as advanced airway, central line
- 3)All ED Techs: bedside monitor application and lead placement
(cardiac monitor, NIBP, pulse ox), 12 lead EKGs, phlebotomy,
orthopedic post molds and splints, crutch training, monitoring and
discontinuation of urinary catheters, assist patient with ADLs and
- 4)All interventions should be documented by the ED Tech
completing the task in the electronic medical record.
- 5)Assist with application of hard and soft restraints as well
as monitor behavioral health patients according to policy.
- 6)Immediately report concerns regarding patient status to
nursing and medical staff.
- 7)Perform direct patient care as directed by nursing and
medical staff based on skills as listed below within job
- Ensure an adequate supplies and equipment are available and for
patient care throughout the shift including all patient care areas
and clearn/dirty utility rooms. All ED equipment is present, clean
- 1)Continually assess levels of medical supplies and equipment
throughout work area at intervals throughout shift. Intial
assessment should begin at shift-to-shift handoff then reassessed.
Communicate needed supply order to UIC for electronic entry by
- 2)Ensure adequate levels of linen are available in all patient
care areas, including the Paramedic Cart and blanket warmers, in
collaboration with other members of the ED treatment team.
- 3)Perform gross cleaning of used sterile instruments utilizing
universal precautions in compliance with Infection Control policy
and procedures. Transport instruments and trays to Sterile
Processing for cleaning. Clean flexible scope and fiberoptic
laryngoscope blades according to policy.
- 4)Continually monitor equipment function and remove/report
malfunction according to proper procedure. Arrange for equipment
repair if appropriate.
- 5)Ensure cleanliness and organization for equipment and
supplies throughout all patient care areas and clean/dirty utility
rooms throughout the ED in compliance with Infection
Control/universal precaution policy and procedures.
- Assist nursing and medical staff to maintain high customer
service performance in ED.
- 1)Complete patient rounds on an hourly basis managing patient
expectations using AIDET and key words at key times. Report
concerns to nursing staff as chain of command for service recovery
- 2)Makes rounds on patients in ED waiting room per department
- Deliver high quality patient care in accordance with ED quality
initaitives such as: Cardiac Alerts, Stroke Alerts, blood culture
contamination, handwashing, trauma. Maintain annual competencies in
compliance with applicable policy and procedure.
- 1)Maintain competency in all ED Tech assignment patient care
areas according to departmental policy and procedure such as EKG,
Triage, and other areas.
- 2)Perform point of care testing according to applicable policy
- Collaborate with peers to ensure adequate coverage in the ED
throughout shift as well as during meals and breaks. To expand
flexbility within the ED, maintain basic knowledge of clerical
functions such as telephone and basic order entry to assist with
coverage of UIC when necessary.
- 1)Regularly communicate with ED Charge Nurse and fellow ED
Techs to meet patient care needs throughout the ED.
- Transport patients, supplies and equipment interdepartmentally
- 1)Transports patients interdepartmentally, utilizing
wheelchairs and carts when appropriate.
- 2)Transport blood products, medications, x-rays, and medical
supplies as needed to facilitate patient care.Education/Experience
- 2-3 yrs. of hospital patient care or pre-hospital patient care
experience or completion of 1 yr. of nursing school clinical
rotations or Certified Nursing AssistantKnowledge, Skills &
- Ability to use keyboard, see computer screen. Ability to move /
lift patients and push carts, etc.
- Current CPR certificationPhysicial Requirements and Working
- This position requires completion of the age specific
competency Very heavy lifting with help as described below. May
experience unpleasant odors, exposures to blood-borne, air-borne
pathogens and opportunistic pathogens. Must be able to transport by
wheelchair and cart all patient population including bariatrics.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: High level of stress due to unpredictable
patient volumes and degree of critical services needed.
- If position has direct patient care or direct patient contact
the following lifting requirement supersedes any previous lifting
requirement effective 06/01/2015. Ability to lift up to 35 pounds
without assistance. For patient lifts of over 35 pounds, or when
patient is unable to assist with the lift, patient handling
equipment is expected to be used, with at least one other
associate, when available. Unique patient lifting/movement
situations will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.This job
description indicates the general nature and level of work expected
of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform
other related duties.
Keywords: Advocate Health, Downers Grove , Emergency Department Tech II, Other , Downers Grove, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!