Deli Category Manager
Company: Fresh Thyme Market
Location: Downers Grove
Posted on: June 22, 2022
If you're someone who has a genuine desire to help people live
better and healthier lives, join us as we work to be a trusted
resource in our communities, offering real people, real food at
real affordable prices across the Midwest. If you are ready to
immerse yourself in an environment, that helps shoppers naturally,
intuitively, and enjoyably find real, honest, affordable goodness
to meet them wherever they are on their wellness journey, we'd like
to hear from you. Join us to begin YOUR journey and be a part of
the Fresh Thyme Market Team!Fresh Thyme Rewards
- Weekly pay
- Scheduling flexibility
- Paid parental leave
- Care.com/back-up care assistance
- Team member discount
- Career growth opportunities.The Food Service Category Manager
is responsible for managing assigned Deli categories with the
objective to meet or exceed projected budgets for top line sales,
total profit dollars, shrink and inventory management. The Category
Manager will be the direct liaison between the stores and the
vendors, including the DC, in addition to supporting the department
managers with training/development, and implementation of new
company programs and initiatives.
*Hybrid schedule: This position follows a hybrid schedule with
Tuesday-Wednesday in Downer's Grove support office and Monday,
Thursday and Friday remote.*.Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Creates and implements pricing, promotion, assortment and shelf
schematics for each assigned category, based on detailed analysis
of past performance, results, industry best practices, and consumer
- Creates yearly business plan and budgets by category based on
department/company initiatives, consumer and market trends.
- Negotiates and collaborates with vendors on pricing, product
assortment, promotion, ads, services, promotional calendars, and
support; acts as primary contact with vendors in assigned
- Reviews category and department financials (i.e. Profit & Loss
Statement) monthly and reacts as necessary to ensure budgets are
achieved; meets sales and margin budget expectations.
- Conducts SKU rationalizations and category reviews
- Ensures store inventory levels are within company standards and
reports inventory discrepancies.
- Manages shrink controls at a category level.
- Authorizes new items entering the market; Researches new
vendors for products, requests quotes, analyzes responses, selects
products, and implements product placement.
- Researches, develops, and implements merchandising and ad plans
to support category business plan and total department
- Helps to ensure stores meet all company and health code
- Attends key vendor company planning meetings.
- Manages and implements special items (i.e. local products,
etc.) and seasonal items for new and existing stores.
- Designs schematics and recommends adjacencies that support the
role of the category.
- Conducts post promotional analysis to track sales and profit
results at end of each promotional timeframe.
- Maintains and reviews price files and competitive price checks
to ensure we are priced competitively within each market we
- Supports stores with special shelf and display decisions.
- Visits stores as necessary to observe results of merchandising
- Communicates all pertinent information, including merchandising
plans, ad plans, price changes, projections, etc., to the stores,
operations team, vendors, support offices, and department.
- Helps in the training and development of store level Department
Managers and Operational Specialists.
- Works closely with procurement function; Communicates category
and promotional/ad plans to ensure desired service levels and
optimum inventory position is achieved.
- Works in conjunction with operations and other departments
across the company to facilitate implementation of programs.
- Other duties as assigned.Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent Grocery industry experience
- Preferred 5-7 years grocery retail experience in Category or
- Previous experience in a natural foods industry is a plus.
- Grocery category product knowledge preferred.
- Financial, mathematical, statistical and consumer research
experience preferred to read, interpret and understand how internal
and external factors influence financial results.Knowledge, Skills,
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while
working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative for making
appropriate decisions and have strong analytical and problem
- Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to
prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for
maintaining effective business relationships with peers, senior
management, customers, and vendors.
- Must have advanced knowledge with MS Office including Outlook,
Word, and Excel.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills
- Must be able to lead, support and contribute to team
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Must be familiar with Health Department guidelines and
regulations as they pertain to a grocery retail environment.
- Familiarity with Category Business Planning with an
understanding of marketing and merchandising practices.
- Possesses the ability to read and interpret profit and loss
statements and understand how the categories managed are
- Has excellent people skills for training and communicating with
customers and stores; requires a high level of patience..
Keywords: Fresh Thyme Market, Downers Grove , Deli Category Manager, Hospitality & Tourism , Downers Grove, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!