Manager, Accounting Policy & Research
Company: Univar Solutions
Location: Downers Grove
Posted on: August 4, 2022
A Place Where People Matter. - Start your career journey with
Univar Solutions! - Here you can make an impact on the world around
you and accelerate your career in areas that energize and excite
you. -Primary Purpose:The Accounting Policy & Research Manager is a
key role and member within the Corporate Controller's group that
supports the technical accounting and research activities specific
to treasury transactions & activities. -This position is primarily
responsible for advising, reviewing, and concluding upon technical
accounting matters to internal and external stakeholders. This role
is designed as an individual contributor that will collaborate
directly with the business and larger Controllership team on
technical accounting and policy issues. This position reports to
the Senior Manager - Accounting Policy & Research.This is a new
role to the Controllership organization due to the growth of the
Company and a desire to improve controls associated with complex
business transactions. The Manager will be expected to develop and
improve upon existing processes & polices. - -This role is
designated as a hybrid working arrangement out of our Downers
Grove, IL Corporate headquarters.Key Responsibilities:
- Advisor to the organization on technical accounting concepts
and accounting policy application & best practices.
- Perform professional accounting research on accounting matters
raised by management or the field.
- Work closely with the business to review new/revised contracts,
or other source materials, to conclude upon the proper accounting
treatment in accordance with professional accounting
- Responsible for accounting conclusions regarding new, unusual,
or nonroutine business transactions; including coordination with
field/finance personnel, transaction source material analysis,
professional accounting research, and memo/source documentation of
- Prepare source materials and accounting memos to support
technical accounting conclusions.
- Partner with policy owners to develop, implement, and
operationalize new financial policies.
- Ensure existing financial policies are clear, accurate, and
current with respect to U.S. GAAP requirements.
- Facilitate global training webinars on accounting policies and
procedures as a technical accounting subject matter expert.
- Own the preparation of select financial statements to support
quarterly & annual SEC financial reporting requirements (e.g.,
Statement of Cash Flows).
- Responsible for the preparation of select footnotes and other
areas requiring technical expertise to support quarterly & annual
SEC financial reporting requirements.
- Responsible for collaborating with the SEC reporting team
regarding new and/or enhanced 10-Q/K presentation & disclosure
requirements due to unique/unusual business transactions.
- Assist in reviews of external filings to provide policy
viewpoints and technical accounting support.
- Track standard setter updates and potential impacts to the
- Review new accounting pronouncement and perform assessments to
determining the accounting, policy, and SEC reporting & disclosure
- Aid in the adoption and implementation of ASU's.
- Direct and guide the Company's local accounting and financial
reporting team's regarding compliance with accounting/finance
policies, SEC reporting requirements, -and overall adherence with
U.S. GAAP. -
- Provide guidance to international operations related to local /
U.S. GAAP conversion and other technical matters.
- Collaborate with business unit and corporate departments to
ensure routine and nonroutine financial results are complete and
- Partner with internal/external stakeholders, including
auditors, and other functional areas within the Company regarding
unique transactions, evolving accounting rules & regulations, and
- Involved in special projects across the Company, as
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Accounting
- CPA required, with maintenance of minimum CPEs
- 5+ years accounting experience
- Public company experience, either through direct work
experience or audit
- Big 4 public accounting experience preferredSpecialized
- Strong technical accounting (U.S. GAAP) and SEC regulation &
reporting knowledge -
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational / project management skills
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize and meet deadlines
- Possess strong work ethic and commitment to completing
responsibilities in a deadline driven environment
- Solid understanding of internal controls
- Ability to understand and interpret legal documents (e.g.,
customer contracts, credit agreements)
- Ability to think critically with strong analytical skills and
attention to detail
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with various levels
of operational and corporate management teams
- Ability to influence people and processes without direct
- Able to use Microsoft Office products (e.g., Word, Excel,
PowerPoint) and advanced skill utilizing Microsoft Excel
- Positive attitude and personality -Univar Solutions is a
leading, global distributor of chemicals and ingredients essential
to the safety, health, and wellbeing of our daily lives from
life-saving medicines and vitamins to hand sanitizers and
industrial materials used for cleaning, construction, and more. -
Our global team of more than 10,000 employees support our vision to
redefine distribution and be the most valued chemical and
ingredient distributor on the planet! We offer a Total Rewards
package that includes market aligned pay and incentives as well as
a diverse benefits offering to support our employees' physical,
emotional, and financial wellbeing.Univar Solutions supports
sustainable solutions for the world around us so that we can do our
part to help keep our communities healthy, fed, clean, and safe!
-We are committed to a diverse workforce and a culture of
inclusion. - Together, we are building a culture that acknowledges
the unique experiences, perspectives and expertise of individuals
and provides the development and growth opportunities to empower us
to redefine our industry. -Univar Solutions is an equal opportunity
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment and will not be discriminated against based on their
race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other
Keywords: Univar Solutions, Downers Grove , Manager, Accounting Policy & Research, Executive , Downers Grove, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!