Lifeguard and Swim Instructors
Company: YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago
Location: Downers Grove
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Description Keeping People Safe Around Water for 165 Years
Opportunities to work as a lifeguard, a swim instructor, or
Salary range starts at $15.86 per hour
Flexible scheduling opportunities
Earn a $600* sign-on bonus!
*New hires will receive a $300 sign-on bonus upon achievement of
your lifeguard certification, provided you are an active employee
working as a lifeguard or swim instructor at the time of payout.
Earn another $300 retention bonus after 6 months of active as a
Lifeguard or Swim Instructor.
Do you enjoy...
- Making lifelong friendships?
- Having life-saving skills that give you the ability to keep
- Meeting new people and working with other team
- Creating connections with others and building positive
- Teaching others how to stay safe in and around water?
- Building skills for the future?
Our staff is the Y's greatest asset. Our teams provide valuable
skills, knowledge, and passion that is essential to the
contribution and positive impact in our communities, which is why
we offer Y employees numerous perks and benefits, including:
- Paid Training and Free Lifeguard classes.
- Complimentary Family YMCA membership and a 25% employee
discount on select programs.
- Do meaningful work and contribute to the advancement of the
YMCA vision by meeting the needs of the people in our
- Comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees
- Opportunity for eligible employees to participate in the Y's
- Career advancement opportunities - grow your career at the
What you will do:
- Provide a high-level of customer service to members, program
participants and guests at all times.
- Supervise and guard the pool and aquatic facility and ensure
participants adhere to all YMCA aquatic guidelines and
- Examine injured persons and administer first aid or
cardiopulmonary resuscitation, if necessary, using training and
medical supplies and equipment.
- Perform appropriate water rescues, when necessary, using rescue
techniques and equipment.
- Contact emergency medical personal in case of serious
- Actively participate in obtaining further water safety
- Attend all in-service trainings and staff meetings as scheduled
by supervisor or center leadership team.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Must successfully complete the American Red Cross Lifeguard
Certification training or have current YMCA or American Red Cross
certification as well as current First Aid, AED, CPR and Oxygen
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a
200 lb. person and meet other physical requirements required for
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to
assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Must be physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies
and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
- Ability to meet physical requirements based on job
- The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons
- Effectively implements YMCA swim curricula for various levels
and populations depending on class needs as outlined by the
standards of the YMCA. (Swim Instructors)
- Prepares progressive lesson plans to enhance the experience of
program participants. (Swim Instructors)
- Prepares reports and maintains records, including attendance
records, skills sheets, progress reports, etc. (Swim
- Enforces aquatic rules and policies by maintaining constant
surveillance of class participants. (Swim Instructors)
- Sets up facility or equipment, and stores equipment upon
completion of class. Immediately notifies supervisor of any broken
equipment or unsafe aspects of the pool. (Swim Instructors)
Child Abuse Prevention
Support the YMCA's commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard
to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping
children safe in our facilities and programs, including those
related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and
procedures to your supervisor.
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as
Keywords: YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago, Downers Grove , Lifeguard and Swim Instructors, Education / Teaching , Downers Grove, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!